3. Designed or Default
What Is Company Culture?
3. Company Culture Is Intelligently Designed
COMPANY CULTURE IS DESIGNED
Company culture either happens by design or it happens by default. The culture we find ourselves working in is a complex ecosystem that may have centuries of baggage. We must believe that our little slice of the world can be helped. Our companies can be molded.
When we know what we're working for, we know whether our time is well spent. Company culture must have a purpose and a design. To be designed means there is thought put into how it is shaped, how it is created, how it is carried out, and how it is re-worked over time.
Designing culture is not easy but it is necessary for those with the privilege to lead to create a place for people to thrive.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR US?
- Our workplaces have a culture whether it is intentional or not
- Company cultures are complex so we may need some time to think about what drives our organization
- Everyone has a part to play, whether an employee or owner
- Those in leadership roles carry a higher responsibility to create benevolent culture within a company
WHAT CAN WE DO?
- Ask good questions.
- Is the culture of our organization designed or existing by default?
- Is there anything I can do to change the culture for the better?
- Is this a place I want to work?